Highlanders score 3-0 against the Saxons

JV boys soccer finishes the season strong after a string of victories
Dong Lin
Left wing Josh Barnes scores the first goal in an away game against Langley on May 7. The Highlanders finished the evening with a 3-0 victory, ending their regular season on a high note.

Quickly recovering from a rocky start to the season, the JV boys soccer team ended their season with a decisive 3-0 victory over Langley this past Wednesday.
“The game with Langley was a good win against our rivals,” said freshman midfielder Aahan Sahu. “It was a clean sweep: three goals and three points to end the season with four wins in a row.”
Learning from previous experiences, the Highlanders made sure that their playstyle would be aggressive, emphasizing being constantly on offense and controlling the tempo of the game to prevent their opponents from taking the strategic initiative. Throughout the game, Langley was unable to fend off repeated attacks from McLean’s offensive wings, forcing them to allocate their efforts towards defense to prevent them from scoring.
“We really wanted to possess the ball this game,” said freshman left wing Josh Barnes. “We also wanted to focus on switching the point of attack. Since it was the last game of our season, we wanted to enjoy the time together as a team. Playing against Langley definitely improved the atmosphere and mood going into the game, and we finished our chances and put the game away for another win.”
Reflecting on what could have been done better, Barnes believes that a lack of communication was the team’s most glaring issue.
“I think we should have communicated better, especially in the beginning of the game when we started with a different lineup,” Barnes said. “It started as a shaky performance but luckily, we eased into it.”
Regardless of any setbacks faced, the JV boys performed well overall. With an impressive 6-4-2 record for wins, ties and losses respectively, the team looks forward to participating in postseason games.