Art department prepares for spring events

Art students participate in art shows and prepare for upcoming competitions
Layla Carter
An array of student-art pieces adorn the walls of the McLean Community Center. In honor of Youth Art Month, the McLean Project for the Arts (MPA) organization hosted their annual Youth Art Show. The exhibition will continue until Mar. 30.

With spring just around the corner, the McLean art department prepares for a novel season of competitions and exhibitions to highlight the achievements of student-artists.

The month of March is also known as National Youth Art Month, in which student creativity is celebrated and quality school art programs are encouraged to foster the next generation of artists. In tandem with Youth Art Month, the McLean Project for the Arts (MPA) organization hosts annual Youth Art shows at the McLean Community Center.

The MPA hosts two youth art shows: one for students in the Langley High School pyramid and another for students in the McLean High School pyramid.

The McLean High School extension of the exhibition began on March 14, and will continue to display McLean region students until March 30. The McLean Community Center will be open to visitors all throughout the upcoming week from 10AM to 4PM.

This year all McLean High School students enrolled in an art class submitted to the MPA art show, and numerous pieces were chosen to be showcased.

“I enjoyed seeing the wide variety of art,” said junior Layla Carter, who attended the reception that was held on the exhibition opening day. Carter had numerous pieces on display including artwork in the printmaking and illustration categories.

“It was very rewarding to have my artwork hung and having it appreciated by an audience,” Carter said.

The exhibition is an opportunity for younger artists to showcase their works to the local community, and be encouraged to embark on creative endeavors. Featuring artworks from a wide age range of artists, the exhibition features elementary works all the way to high school art pieces.

Sophomore, junior, and senior students interested in further community exposure for their art pieces are now preparing for the annual Juried Friends of Yellow Barn Studio exhibition for high schoolers. This marks the organization’s 25th anniversary hosting the event.

This year the organization has selected expressionist artist, art critic and writer Vian Borchet to serve as a juror for the event. The deadline for student submission for high school students will close on the night of March 22.

The exhibition itself will begin on Apr. 13, and will showcase the top 40 submissions. Winners will receive cash prizes based on how well their piece performed in respect to the juror. Best of luck to students who are submitting their pieces.