Girls Leadership Program set to mentor Longfellow students

GLC to host peer mentorship event for middle school students
A flyer for GLC’s upcoming peer mentorship event in April. High school and middle school students will meet in the lecture hall to participate in this event.

On Tuesday, April 9, the Girls Leadership Committee will host their second middle school mentorship event of the year at 3:30 pm in the lecture hall at McLean. During this event, members are paired with middle school students to participate in different planned activities and answer any questions that the younger students may have about high school.
“[The activities] are centered around teaching the girls leadership skills and about influential women in today’s society,” said junior Natalie Pillai, the project executive of GLC. “The high school students help ensure their mentee feels welcome and stays engaged during the event.”
This event is a popular activity amongst GLC members, and has been a part of their program for about three years. Each event garners around 20 middle school mentees who will hopefully leave with newfound confidence about going into high school and a new friend.
“The middle schoolers really benefit by gaining a high school friend and mentor who they can reach out to whenever they have questions about high school or need support,” Pillai said.
This program is not only a great way for the Longfellow middle schoolers to learn about how to succeed and be a strong leader in high school, but also an opportunity for the GLC members to share their high school experiences and have a positive impact on future McLean students.
“One of the best parts is connecting members of our community and future Highlanders with a potential friend who is dedicated to helping them,” Pillai said. “I love seeing the girls come out of their shells and feel confident about themselves and their transition to high school.”
For more updates on GLC’s upcoming events, students can join the Schoology page with the code KW7G-P7CT-N858D and follow their Instagram at @mcleanglc for more information.
To sign up for this event, fill out the following form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaxBjcKVZewfcTbKoEuHaxz9aoLPErduQ-A8jPU9Zpu3gnjQ/viewform.