National History Honor Society prepares for future service projects

NHHS presents approaching deadlines and service hour requirements
Minsong Ha
Senior and NHHS president Aidan Shaughnessy answers questions for NHHS members after the club meeting. As the service hour deadline in May is fast approaching, members have been encouraged to complete their volunteer work soon.

On March 19, the National History Honor Society (NHHS) hosted a meeting to discuss ongoing and upcoming service opportunities for members.

“We have a lot of new opportunities coming up as the end of the year approaches,” junior and NHHS director of outreach Emily Ma said. “As the due date for all service hours approaches, we want to help all members [by providing the] right [service] opportunities for them.”

Throughout the year, NHHS has been providing various service hour options for their members, including a historical site cleanup at the Lebowitz House in Clemyjontri Park, staffing for the McLean Model United Nations Conference and visiting the National Museum of American History in DC.

“Some of the new opportunities we have coming up are related to the upcoming AP exam season,” Ma said. “To help prepare students in AP history classes, we always host study and help sessions led by history tutors. NHHS members can sign up to be these tutors.”

By the end of the year, NHHS members must have at least six service hours and two complete meeting attendances to be a member in good standing.

“This meeting was helpful because it was a quick reminder that we have to fill in our service hours pretty soon,” junior NHHS member Kate Joo said. “May is approaching [quickly].”