UNICEF Club to host 5K charity run

McLean’s UNICEF strives to make a lasting impact on the lives of children around the world, one step at a time
Sarah Soltani
The UNICEF 5K charity run is set to take place at 11 a.m. on Friday, April 5.

McLean’s UNICEF Club is in preparation to host a 5K charity run in collaboration with other high school UNICEF Clubs across Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC. The run will take place on the morning of May 18 at King Abdullah Academy in Herndon.

“It’s inspiring to see the community come together in support of children,” club officer Kylie Nguyen said. “The run is not just about physical endurance; it’s about showing solidarity with children who face unimaginable hardships every day.”

The planning process for the run began in early January. Currently, Washington Liberty High School, King Abdullah Academy, Independence High School and Episcopal High School are all registered to take part in the run beside McLean.

All the funds raised from the participants will go directly toward the UNICEF agency which is responsible for offering humanitarian and developmental assistance to disadvantaged children worldwide.

Participants in the race can expect to receive UNICEF t-shirts and merchandise as well as snacks and medals. For those who would prefer not to run, the option of volunteering to help on the sidelines is also available.

“I’m planning to volunteer at the event,” Nguyen said. “I’ll be along the route, shouting cheers of encouragement, distributing refreshments and awarding medals.”

From seasoned athletes to first-time runners, McLean’s UNICEF encourages all potential participants to embrace the challenge and be motivated by the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world, supporting UNICEF’s work in providing education, healthcare, and protection to children in need.

“The success of the run will be a testament to the compassion, unity and empathy of our community,” Nguyen said.