Orchestra introduces chamber section

McLean orchestra now offers five mastery levels
@mcleanhsorchestra on Instagram
McLean orchestra to welcome five different ensembles next year.

Acclaimed for holding successful concerts and earning high marks in competitions, McLean orchestra is a pillar of the performing arts department at McLean.

In previous years, students were required to audition to earn a seat in the ensemble, and were then placed in one of four different expertise levels: philharmonic, sinfonia, symphonic or concert. However, as of next school year, students can now be selected to play in chamber orchestra, an entirely new division of players in between philharmonic and sinfonia.

“After COVID-19, I had a wonderful growth in student numbers, so sinfonia orchestra [became] too large,” Orchestra Director Starlet Smith said. “I decided to diversify the levels a bit more and add the chamber orchestra. Because I have such a limited number of seats opening in philharmonic next year, chamber orchestra will be a great chance for students to have the chance to move up and still be challenged.”

Capped at six first violins, six second violins, four violas, four to six cellos, and one to two basses, chamber orchestra allows students the ability to work on more difficult music that involves a greater level of technique than the current sinfonia class.

“I think [chamber] will be beneficial to students in the long run because we do not have to combine classes,” Smith said. “At the moment, sinfonia is split between two class periods. They learn the music separately and have after-school rehearsals before concerts to put the music together.”

Following a thorough review of all audition videos to be submitted in April, students can expect to more efficiently perfect their music, grouped into a range of mastery levels that help them improve their craft.

“Next year, all classes will be isolated into one class period per orchestra, which will be great for rehearsal,” Smith said. “[Chamber orchestra] gives students a new goal to reach for.”