Vietnamese Student Association makes plans to ring in Lunar New Year

VSA to host Lunar New Year party to celebrate year of the dragon
The Eden Centers Lunar New Year festival often incorporates dragon dances and various performances to increase the events festivity.
Courtesy of Kylie Nguyen
The Eden Center’s Lunar New Year festival often incorporates dragon dances and various performances to increase the event’s festivity.

In a celebration of cultural diversity and tradition, the Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) is set to host a lively Lunar New Year party at their upcoming meeting on Feb. 6th. The event aims to bring students together to commemorate the beginning of the year of the dragon and educate community members on its cultural significance.

The Lunar New Year will officially take place on Feb. 10th this year. The holiday, often recognized as a spring festival, signifies a time of renewal. Families unite during this period to honor ancestors and seek prosperity. The 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac, besides representing years, are thought to impact various aspects of life, including personalities, careers, compatibility, marriage, and fortune.

“2024 is the year of the dragon which symbolizes strength and good fortune,” said senior Kylie Nguyen, co-president of the VSA.

The VSA event is expected to include traditional Vietnamese dishes like bánh chưng (sticky rice cake) and bánh tét (round glutinous rice cake) and promises games, performances, and festive music that will immerse members into their rich culture.

“We will give out red envelopes with chocolate coins in them which are typically filled with money and given out by elders to the younger ones who in turn, wish prosperity, happiness, and long life to them,” Nguyen said. “The association is eager to create an environment for attendees to celebrate and appreciate the traditions associated with the Lunar New Year.”

The VSA, known for its commitment to fostering a sense of community among Vietnamese students, has spared no effort in creating an inclusive atmosphere for everyone to partake in the festivities. Having raised nearly $1,000 through their boba and pastry stand during McLean’s Holiday Bazaar, the VSA is able to utilize their funds to provide the necessities for such meetings.

“The money we raise during the bazaar is essential to the association,” Nguyen said. “We use the profits to fund our meetings, out of school events, and to create VSA merchandise such as association t-shirts.”

With the Lunar New Year representing a time of renewal, reflection, and unity, the association hopes to share the joy of this cultural celebration with the broader student body.

“We want to showcase the beauty and significance of Lunar New Year to our fellow students and friends,” Nguyen said. “The meeting will be an opportunity for everyone to come together, learn about our traditions, and enjoy the warmth of the Lunar New Year spirit.”