Student-Artists prepare submissions for Scholastic Awards

Scholastic Arts and Writing deadline extended
Alan Wang
Sophomore Alan Wang’s submission for the annual Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. This piece is intended to be submitted to the “Drawing and Illustration” category.

The annual Scholastic Arts and Writing award is a celebration of creativity and talent of youth across the nation. The Scholastic awards allows for both writing entries where students can submit poetry and short story pieces, as well as art entries including categories such as photography, digital art, mixed media and traditional art. Members of the National Art Honors Society (NAHS) McLean chapter, as well as students in the art department are being encouraged to submit their pieces to the program.

“Consider submitting to categories that are not super popular which tends to bring down the competition with fewer entries like editorial cartoon, design, fashion etc,” NAHS sponsor Swapna Elias said.

Many students have already assembled their portfolios and favorite works to submit to the competition. “I’ve chosen to submit my artwork to the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards due to the incredible opportunities it offers,” said sophomore Alan Wang, an art student and a member of the NAHS. “Not only does it provide a wonderful platform for me to share my artwork and raise awareness about it, but it also grants me the chance to appreciate the works of other talented individuals within my local community”.

This year he plans to submit for categories including drawing and illustration, mixed media, film, animation, and photography.

“On a national level, the experience becomes even more fulfilling as I immerse myself in an atmosphere filled with exceptional artists and their remarkable creations,” Wang said.

Though the previous deadline had been set to Dec. 8, 2023, with the malfunctioning of the Scholastic website portal, the Fairfax County Art Region has extended their regional deadline to February 5th, 2024.

“I’ve been wanting to submit my art to the Scholastic Art awards for the mixed media category”, said sophomore Buse Arici, currently enrolled in Studio Art 4. “I’m thankful for the extension of the deadline, and I now have more time to select my art piece and add any final touches.”

Students are not required to be enrolled in an art class to submit their works. If you are interested in submitting your works, visit the Scholastic art and Writing awards website.