VHSL Theater One Act competition postponed due to bad weather

McLean will now perform their one act show on Saturday, Jan. 20
Philip Rotondo
Senior Rafik Hanna rehearses for his lead role in The Cards of Fate playing game show host Buffy

The VHSL Theater One Act competition was canceled last Saturday because of poor weather conditions. The show has been rescheduled to this Saturday, Jan. 27. The extra time has given McLean’s performers additional opportunities to prepare for their show.

“[We did rehearsals this week] in our Theater 3 and 4 class, and then we’re doing one on Friday [at 11 AM],” said Rafik Hanna, an actor performing in McLean’s one act performance.

Previously, TheatreMcLean members didn’t feel prepared for the competition because of how little time they had to prepare for the show. They began rehearsing their one act show, The Cards of Fate, in mid-December, giving just over a month to prepare for their judged VHSL performance.

“Having some extra time to bring the show together was nice, because it was a little bit rushed [before],” Hanna said. “I think now that we have the time we can really explore it and make it a full piece.”

Now, TheatreMcLean, which will perform at the VHSL competition as McLean High School, enters their final days of preparation with a new sense of confidence.

“[Monday] was a sick rehearsal,” TheatreMcLean Director Phillip Reid said. “We had some really nitty-gritty moments”