McLean PTSA to host third meeting of the year

Kathleen Otal to speak to parents about the balance of student mental health and academics
Minsong Ha
The illuminated McLean auditorium is ready for the third PTSA meeting of the 2023-2024 academic year, in which speaker Kathleen Otal will discuss student mental wellness at the podium.

On Jan. 17 at 6 pm, McLean’s Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) is hosting its third yearly meeting in McLean’s auditorium. Students and parents alike are encouraged to attend to learn more about critical matters relating to McLean.

“The first part [of the meeting] is the business portion, which includes standard items such as the approval of the previous meeting minutes, a summary of activities undertaken since the last meeting, financials (budget execution), and a status report on our ongoing and upcoming activities,” said PTSA president Oscar Hernandez. “The second part is a workshop specifically directed towards parents and led by our school counselor, Kathleen J. Otal, focusing on balancing the pressure to achieve with mental health.”

Though targeting the PTSA’s parent audience, Otal’s presentation will benefit the student body by helping balance student schedules and promoting a mental wellness culture at McLean.

Typically, the PTSA is dominated by McLean’s parents and staff. However, students can easily get involved with the PTSA by contributing ideas in order to have their needs and opinions reflected in community and school decisions.

“We have several programs that can be enhanced and tailored better to address the needs and interests of our students,” Hernandez said. “This way, we can optimize our limited resources more effectively.”

Even simply attending a PTSA meeting is a way for students to get involved and actively become more knowledgeable about their school.

“Active engagement is key. I encourage all students to be involved and also extend this invitation to [their] families,” Hernandez said. “Their participation is valuable and contributes significantly to our shared goals.”