Library to launch new “McLean Reads” program

Upcoming project encourages student and teacher book discussions with prizes
Courtesy of Lisa Koch
McLean Library showcases new program to be opened for students from January to June.

On Jan.10, the McLean library notified McLean staff to submit one of their favorite books for a new project dubbed “McLean Reads.” In approximately two weeks, all of these faculty favorites will be displayed on library shelves, ready for students to read. When students sign up to read one of the exhibited books, they will be matched with a staff member who will also read the shared book. Together, they will join a brief book discussion, and the student will be automatically entered to win a raffle prize at the end of the year.

“During the [book discussion] meetings, it’s a time for the student and staff member to have the shared experience of reading together,” head librarian Lisa Koch said. “It’s not for a grade, it’s not like a book report, but a casual conversation to talk.”

The initial introduction of “McLean Reads” was met with enthusiasm and excitement from teachers, acquiring a dozen sign-ups on the first day alone.

“The staff will not just be teachers, but a mix of many faculty members. We have had a counselor, school nurse, and Principal Ellen Reilly show interest in joining the program,” librarian Morgan Popma said. “[This project] is really important for all staff, not just teachers, because it is about fostering new connections and having an adult [students] can talk to in the building.”

Though the program is not open to students yet, the raffle, which will take place in June, is expected to elevate student interest.

“I am thinking of signing up for the program because I can form a closer bond with some of my teachers, and I could win a prize at the end of the year,” junior An Doan said. “I think the new project will be pretty popular.”