Girls Leadership Committee to host first guest speaker of the year

GLC invites Madeline LaSalle Frazier to speak in the lecture hall on Wed. Jan. 3
Amelia Egan and Madeline LaSalle Frazier
Frazier will be speaking in the Lecture Hall on Jan. 3 during Highlander Time Flex.

Update: The guest speaker event has been postponed for the forseeable future.

On Jan. 3, the Girls Leadership Committee (GLC) at McLean will be hosting Prince George County school board member Madeline LaSalle Frazier as its first guest speaker of the school year in the Lecture Hall during Highlander Time Flex. During this event, Frazier will discuss her journey in establishing her career as a clinical social worker and education specialist, as well as founding the after school program Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT).

“GLC strives to create a space for girls to strengthen their leadership skills and raise awareness in the community about issues women face,” GLC co-president and senior Amelia Egan said. “With over 25 years of experience in her respective field, Mrs. Frazier has encountered the hardships, successes, and changes that come with any career.”

Although Frazier specializes in social work and education, the GLC officers believe that her experiences will be inspiring for all students, no matter what kind of career they wish to pursue.

“Regardless of any student’s desired career, hearing about another person’s journey provides perspective about the career process and how unique and individual it is,” Egan said. “We hope that Mrs. Frazier’s event will inspire students to look beyond their desired career path.”

Egan and her fellow GLC officers are confident that Frazier and her achievements throughout her career will be beneficial for McLean students to learn about and ultimately help spread the main goals and beliefs of their committee.

“While Mrs. Frazier’s Latinas Leading Tomorrow program is aimed towards the latina community, her advocacy for female empowerment in both academic and professional settings reflects one of GLC’s core values,” Egan said. “GLC hopes to expose McLean students to different experiences from women across the spectrum of careers.”

For more updates on GLC’s upcoming events, students can join the Schoology page with the code KW7G-P7CT-N858D and follow their Instagram at @mcleanglc for more information.