Kali Uchis blossoms with brilliant new album, Orquídeas

Orquídeas flourishes in a fusion of Latin rhythms and melodies
Rolling Stone
Surpassing 200 million streams on Spotify, Orquídeas has marked itself as one of Uchis’s most successful records.

Kali Uchis showcases her musical versatility and deepens her connection to Latin music with the release of her second Spanish album, Orquídeas. The title, translating to “orchids” in English, sets the tone for an album that is both delicate and powerful, much like the flower it’s named after.

The album kicks off with the energetic intro “¿Cómo Así?”, which immediately grabs the listener’s attention with its changing beats and Uchis’s beautiful vocal range. The song serves as a perfect introduction, providing listeners with a glimpse into the themes explored throughout the album: self-love, trust, and desire.

Uchis collaborated with some of the biggest names in Latin music on this album, creating a rich and diverse musical landscape. The global single “Muñekita” featuring El Alfa and JT from City Girls is a standout track that showcases the fusion of different musical styles. Meanwhile, the collaboration with Colombian singer Karol G on “Labios Mordidos” further adds to the album’s allure. “Igual Que Un Ángel,” a collaboration with Mexican singer Peso Pluma, stands out as a beautiful synth-pop love song. Despite initial concerns about how Pluma would fit into the mix, the result is a seamless blend of both artists’ voices and musical styles. The track has become one of the album’s most popular songs, contributing to its overall success.

The tracks “Pensamientos Intrusivos” and “Diosa,” share a common theme of expressing the depths one would go for love. Both songs capture the essence of passion from different perspectives—one telling, and the other receiving. The infectious beats of both songs shine brightest through personal moments, like dancing with friends in the car, making them an unparalleled musical experience.

Saving one of the best for last, Uchis closes the album with “Dame Beso // Muévete,” a song that resonates with any Latino familiar with the lively tunes of merengue. The nostalgic vibe of the track makes it the perfect choice to conclude the album, and listeners may find themselves using it to add some energy and life to their everyday activities.

Orquídeas is a masterfully crafted album that elegantly merges various musical elements. Kali Uchis’s ability to seamlessly navigate different genres and collaborate with diverse artists contributes to the album’s success. The fact that it has already surpassed 200 million streams on Spotify speaks volumes about the album’s widespread appeal, making it Uchis’s fastest album to achieve this milestone. With Orquídeas, Kali Uchis solidifies her position as a versatile artist with a deep connection to the rich tapestry of Latin music. Overall, we would say this is one of our favorite albums by her and is deserving of a 5/5 because of its creativity and smooth integration of Spanish beats and melodies.