The Highlander’s Picks: March 2024

The best new songs selected by The Highlander staff
Philip Rotondo

The Caracal Project, Camo and Krooked, “While you count down.”

The Caracal Project

Leading a wave of futuristic dance music, The Caracal Project delivers energetic yet understated electronic compositions that meld diverse genres and sounds. On March 12, the artist released his most recent single, “While you count down.” The song is a chilled-out drum and bass tune that will provide a perfect soundtrack for a library study session or an early-morning run.

Cola, “Bitter Melon”

Fire Talk

The enigmatic indie/post-punk trio Cola released their most recent single, “Bitter Melon,” on March 13. Continuing the anxious, hazy sound established on Cola’s 2023 debut album “Deep in View,” “Bitter Melon” is fresh and wispy, making it excellently suited to any spring cleaning playlist.

Free Nationals, A$AP Rocky, Anderson .Paak, “Gangsta”

Empire Distribution

On “Gangsta,” the Free Nationals lay down a 70s-soul inspired instrumental on which A$AP Rocky and Anderson .Paak trade confident, witty rap verses, combining aspects of modern hip-hop and classic funk. Released on Feb. 23, the track is a fun, nostalgic way to kick off Spring Break.

Gouge Away, “Dallas”

Deathwish Inc.

Gouge Away, one of the most powerful voices in punk music today, released their new album “Deep Sage” on March 15. Progressive and brutal, it finds the band at both their heaviest and most melodic. The album’s six-minute closing track, “Dallas,” is an introspective journey through decades of diverse underground rock influence and a perfect background song for a late-night drive.

Little Simz, “Power”

Forever Living Originals

London’s Little Simz has captivated listeners by delivering dynamic raps over 90s-influenced beats since 2014. The artist’s latest release, a seven-song extended play called “Drop 7,” flips her regular formula on its head. The record is full of stripped-back abrasive dance tunes topped with laid-back rap vocals. 55 second track “Power” is a short-but-sweet anthem for the new season.