Conan Gray’s new album brings listeners to musical heaven

“Found Heaven” shines bright and secures Gray a spot in the pop scene
Genius
“Found Heaven”, Conan Gray’s third studio album, was released on April 5, 2024.

Sounding as if it was pulled out of a 1980s coming of age film, Conan Gray’s “Found Heaven” is a culmination of glam-infused instrumentals and heartbreak, bringing back the true meaning of pop music. Gray’s third studio album was released on April 5, 2024, and acts as a thematic continuation of his 2022 album, “Superache,” both of which are centered around lost loves.

Kicking off the album with a title track, Gray mesmerizes listeners through a haunting vocal presentation in “Found Heaven”.Singing of religious imagery and finding self-acceptance enables Gray to create a mystical sound that makes one somehow feel at their highest and lowest simultaneously. Featuring a smooth guitar backing Gray’s awe-striking vocals, the mood for the album is immediately set and leaves one wanting more.

“Fainted Love” is a melodic and synth-infused track that will electrify any listener. With themes of unreciprocated love and being underappreciated in a relationship, Gray’s tragically beautiful lyricism is sure to break the heart of any listener as they tune in. Painting a tragic picture of desperation, the tale tells of past memories and wishes of happiness, standing out as one of the best.

The penultimate track, “Killing Me” features a similar theme to “Fainted Love”, describing the feeling of being in an unbalanced relationship. While it is backed by a strong instrumental and powerful vocals, the main message of the song stands out nonetheless. Gray describes how his overwhelming love for his partner is both a reward and a punishment, because he is aware they do not have the same love for him.

While the record as a whole stands to represent loneliness and emotional suffering, “Eye Of The Night” and “Boys & Girls” reflect the 1980s audial focus of the record. Bringing in classic themes of many popular songs from that decade, both tracks feature heavy synth instrumentals and vocals nostalgic of the 80s. The haunting story of feeling as if one is being followed is told in “Eye Of The Night”, which differs greatly from the theme of the record, intriguing listeners to keep listening.

Similar to the retro feel of “Eye Of The Night” and “Boys & Girls,” “Bourgeoisieses” stands apart from the rest of the album, both in theme and sound. Featuring a central topic of class relations, Gray describes a longing to be a part of the upper-class, which he sees through a mystical and exaggerated lens. The fast-paced, catchy beat paired with lyrics that are easily distinguished from the rest of the album create an extremely addicting song that instantly transports listeners into a different world of thought.

Lyrically standing out on the record, “The Final Fight” is a mesmerizing ballad narrating Gray’s experience fighting with a loved one and how he struggles to accept how their disagreements separated them. This track details an emotion that anyone can relate to, describing feelings of immense regret and emotional despair. Gray’s emphasized lyrics through repetition and layered vocals provide for an ethereal performance, elevating the song that much more.

However, the gleaming star of the record that drew all my attention from the first listen, is the ninth track, “Forever With Me.” The track highlights Gray’s firm belief that it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Gray describes how, despite the lingering pain he endured as a result of his and his partner’s separation, he is grateful that he was able to love someone so deeply and truly. The track stands out as it focuses on the positive aspects of a breakup and how Gray was able to learn from his mistakes by accepting their separation over time. The message of this song is wonderfully emphasized through Gray’s extremely strong and dynamic vocals, driving his point home and proving the passion sourced from his love remains true still.

“Winner” ends the album on a melancholy note, placing one final emphasis on the overarching theme of heartbreak. The heavily dramatic and morose instrumental provides for a sinking feeling in one’s heart as they are placed in Gray’s shoes and experience his loneliness through the music. Utilizing vivid imagery and metaphors, Gray is able to construct a creative song highlighting his lingering bitterness towards a narcissistic loved one.

Overall, this record deserves a 9/10, exploring a myriad of emotions, touching on both the good and the bad. While the album did have a central theme that many of the songs pertained to, Gray mixed in assorted songs that did not fit the exact profile of the theme, which made the record as a whole more powerful in its genre. As a long-time Conan Gray fan, I am pleased to say that this album struck gold in its release and did not disappoint in the slightest.