Pupuseria La Familiar serves up nostalgia

Falls Church’s local Salvadoran restaurant offers authentic and affordable Central American cuisine
Addie Harris
Pupuseria La Familiar presents a diverse and affordable dining option for McLean students. Located on Washington Street in Falls Church, the restaurant serves an authentic blend of Central American cuisines, most famous for their pupusas.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Standing out among an array of dozens of local restaurants serving food of different cultures, Falls Church’s Pupuseria La Familiar offers an authentic taste of Salvadoran cuisine, with their claim to fame resting in their specialty pupusas. Both family-friendly and authentic, this restaurant’s charming but modest diner aesthetic intrigued me from the beginning.

The restaurant itself, located in an unassuming building in the heart of Falls Church City and surrounded by a variety of businesses and multicultural restaurants, had a distinct familial feel to it. Right away, I was offered the choice of dining in or getting take out, and chose to opt for one of the many booths lining the walls of the small but welcoming restaurant. As I sat, I was entertained by the cartoons playing on the overhead TV as well as watching the wait staff bustle in and out of the open kitchen.

The menu was simple but enticing, offering traditional Central American appetizers, soups, sandwiches, and main dishes, but most importantly, pupusas, traditional Salvadoran griddle cakes. Considering the generally high cost of dining in McLean and Falls Church, I was pleasantly surprised by the low to moderate prices of Pupuseria La Familiar.

Of course, I knew I couldn’t leave the restaurant without trying some of their traditional and specialty pupusas. Each pupusa came with a container of tangy slaw and spiceless but flavorful salsa that added a much-needed kick to each one.

The pupusas themselves were definitely enjoyable – I appreciated the soft and grainy dough which blended pleasantly with the gooey cheese filling. The two pupusas I ordered were the chicharron con queso (pork and cheese) for $2.69 and the jalapeños con queso (jalapeños and cheese) for $2.90. I enjoyed the jalapeños con queso pupusa the most out of the two, but each one had a slightly unique flavor that elevated the cheesy filling.

Despite their points for flavor, I wished they had been a little warmer. Presentation was definitely on the lackluster side, but what they lacked in style they made up for in taste. I would also recommend getting three pupusas, as I found myself still unsatisfied after two.

Following the pupusas, I decided to round out the experience with a taste of Pupuseria La Familiar’s Budín, or banana bread pudding, for $2.99 for dessert. This dessert was not anything spectacular presentation or taste-wise, but it definitely helped round out the meal with its soft texture and subtle sweetness that satisfied my dessert craving.

As families poured into the restaurant throughout the evening, the relaxed atmosphere, affordable pricing and comfort food left me feeling quite nostalgic. Although I was not blown away by any aspect of this dining experience, I was nonetheless appreciative of their cheap prices, menu variety and unique pupusa flavors. Especially for students seeking out a nostalgic and affordable but unique dining experience, Pupuseria La Familiar will not disappoint.