TheatreMcLean’s Anastasia is the perfect production

TheatreMcLean stages extraordinary performance in Anastasia
The cast performs “Stay, I Pray You,” as they board the train and leave their homeland to find freedom in Paris.

TheatreMcLean’s newest production of Anastasia: The Musical, will leave you speechless at the talent displayed by the cast and the moving story they perfectly captured.

“The first night is always the hardest, and they conquered it,” sophomore Juliana Torpy said. “I love the songs, the singing was phenomenal and loud, and the play was just really good.”

Anastasia follows the legend of the Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanov and her search for a home after escaping the Bolshevik revolutionary siege that caused the tragic deaths of her family. Ten years later, with no memories and knowing herself by the name Anya, Princess Anastasia must search for her grandmother in a both thrilling and touching musical. The musical incorporated themes of romance, revolution, and most prominently, the importance of finding your true self, leaving the audience with a truly amazing and unforgettable experience.

The play begins in the early 1900s, in a beautifully constructed set depicting the Romanov palace, with a young Anastasia, played by sophomore Emma Weinshall, with her nana, the Dowager Empress, played by senior Taylor Konditi. They immediately captured the audience with the opening number, “Prologue: Once Upon a December.”

Princess Anastasia, played by junior Audrey Link, emerges on stage in “The Last Dance of the Romanovs,” and has grace from the very beginning. Her effortlessly beautiful vocals, and onstage confidence made it clear that the performance would be extraordinary. Her typical scene mate and love interest, Dmitry, played by senior Nathan Bass, was charming and witty, playing his part to perfection creating the onstage chemistry needed to act together seamlessly.

Their witty yet caring friend Vlad Popov, played by senior Jackie House completed the lead trio, with a captivating friendship that made each scene that much more entertaining.

Concluding the major characters are Countess Lily Malevsky-Malevitch, played by sophomore Aashna Kapur, who’s comedic wit emitted laughter from the crowd at all the funny moments, and antagonist Gleb Vaganov, the Bolshevik Deputy Commissioner, played by senior Noah Chlan.

“I’m so proud of them,” said Sarah Barry, the theater teacher at Longfellow Middle School. “I see them, and I see how much they’ve grown and matured, and their skills are just so amazing it makes me emotional.”

The cast’s stellar vocal performances gave them an overall powerful presence on stage, and with the extensive choreography and energy, the talent exhibited was incredible. Songs such as “In My Dreams” sung by Link’s Anya, and “In a Crowd of Thousands,” by Link and Bass, tugged at the crowd’s heartstrings, producing tears from some audience members.

“The singing is absolutely incredible [and] it made me cry,” Barry said. “I love this show, and I’ve seen it on Broadway a couple of times. I was excited to see what high schoolers do with this really beautiful show, and they’ve done an amazing job.”

The ensemble was on point, performing upbeat songs that drew the audience into the setting and time period of the show. The ballet really stood out as an exceptional part of the production, with elegant dancing that seemed almost professional.

“The ballet is my favorite part because it’s my comfort zone,” sophomore ballerina Sophia Del Cotto said. “It adds to the story, and it’s like a show within a show.”

The crew did a fantastic job, and every aspect of the show created a smooth and virtually flawless production, emphasizing the care that goes into TheatreMcLean’s shows. Occasional hiccups were handled with complete grace, and those moments showcase how talented McLean students are when performing live in front of an audience.

The experience of watching TheatreMcLean’s Anastasia: The Musical is unforgettable, and each and every audience member walks out with a smile on their faces, in awe of the talent displayed. It was impressive, captivating, and spectacular, and there’s a rumor in St. Petersburg that it’s truly one of McLean’s best productions.