This princess is no damsel in distress

Millie Bobby Brown is the perfect heroine in this captivating fantasy action film
Netflix
Millie Bobby Brown stars as Elodie in Netflix’s new film Damsel. The movie follows Elodie as she is unknowingly sacrificed in a dragon’s lair and forced to find a way to survive and save her people.

Set in a far away mystical land, Netflix’s newest adventure film follows the story of Elodie, the daughter of a lord who is determined to do anything to protect her people from their current state of desolation. In hopes of securing a favorable marriage, Elodie journeys with her father, step-mother, and beloved sister to the wealthy kingdom of Aurea. There, Elodie prepares to marry Prince Henry to unite their two lands and save her home from starvation. However, something sinister lurks in the mountains outside the kingdom, and when Elodie is asked to participate in an ancient ritual after her wedding, she soon realizes that she is a sacrifice being used to repay the debts of the royal family. Lost in the dark cave of a deadly dragon, Elodie must find a way to escape, save her family and secure a future for her people before it’s too late.

Damsel offers a refreshing twist on traditional fairy tale narratives, presenting strong and resourceful Elodie, portrayed by Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things, Enola Holmes). From the very beginning of the film, it’s evident that Elodie is not a typical damsel in distress. Elodie’s character exudes strength and loyalty and is further enriched by her unwavering sense of duty to her people. Furthermore, as a majority of the film is watching Elodie learn how to survive in the dragon’s lair, Brown’s curious nature and endlessly expressive physicality as Elodie make her entertaining to watch, and one quickly finds themselves invested in her story and wishing for her to find a way out.

Robin Wright and Angela Bassett similarly deliver standout performances as the queen of Aurea and Elodie’s step-mother, Lady Bayford. Wright is the epitome of regal authority as Queen Isabelle, the mother of Prince Henry. Her subdued evil nature at the start of the film manifests itself in one tense scene between Wright and Bassett in which the queen reminds Lady Bayford of her lower station with a passive aggressiveness that is disconcerting and authoritative all at once. Meanwhile, Bassett captivates audiences with her sincerity as Lady Bayford. Her love and protection over Elodie is evident through her every action and her desperate pleas for Elodie not to marry the prince mirrors the feelings of the viewers.

Nick Robinson’s portrayal of Prince Henry is convincing, seamlessly transitioning from a charming prince to a conflicted character with sinister undertones. Brooke Carter as Elodie’s younger sister, Floria, is consistently energetic and animated, especially when exploring the luxuries of the kingdom of Aurea. Her unbreakable love for her sister allows her to win over the audience’s hearts and make them more invested in the survival of Elodie’s family.

The movie’s technical aspects, including the beautiful medieval scenery and the foreboding atmosphere of Aurea, contribute to its immersive experience. The contrast between the opulent, sunny cinematography and the underlying darkness adds layers to the storytelling and hints at the dark events that are to come.

The intricate costume designs, particularly Elodie’s red attire symbolizing blood and foreshadowing danger, are visually striking. The golden masks worn by the people of the kingdom during the ritual before Elodie is thrown into the cave are deeply unsettling and add to the dark ambience of the evil ceremony. In addition to the costumes, the special effects makeup used to illustrate the many wounds sustained by the characters is very convincing and adds to the shock factor of the intense battle scenes.

The use of CGI, particularly in depicting the burning birds and the terrifying dragon, adds realism to the fantastical elements of the story. The cave scenes are both beautiful and horrifying, with attention to detail and the timbre of the music enhancing the sense of dread and suspense.

Despite its strengths, Damsel suffers from pacing issues, particularly in the middle portion where repetitive obstacles detract from the overall tension. However, the film’s fresh take on the traditional narrative, coupled with its themes of duty and family relationships, make it a worthwhile watch.

Overall, Damsel offers a compelling blend of fantasy, adventure, and female empowerment that sets it apart from conventional fairy tale adaptations.

Damsel runs about 1 hour and 47 minutes and is now available to stream on Netflix.

Which character from Netflix's Damsel are you?

There was an error. Please try again.

4 Total Questions