The Highlander Music Picks: April 2024

The best new songs selected by The Highlander Staff

As Spring blooms with each passing day and we enter the final quarter of this school year, the music scene is reflective of the newly sunny weather. Bursting with energy, these songs were released just in time to get students excited for the summer. After listening to many, many new songs, The Highlander staff hand-selected the best of the best of the April 2024 music scene.

Kehlani, “After Hours”
Kehlani’s fast-paced new single, “After Hours”, blends her suave vocals with a bass-heavy instrumental in her stunning resurgence to the music scene. Sure to pull any listener into a soulful dance break from their day, Kehlani pulls together all of her talents to create a 2010s-esque track, perfect for playing on a late night drive through the city.

Luke Hemmings, “Close My Eyes”
“Close My Eyes” is an electric new track that will get any listener up and dancing. Released by the frontman of popular pop-rock band 5 Seconds of Summer, this track is Luke Hemmings’ second single leading up to his second solo album, Boy. Released on April 5, this drum-heavy alternative-pop song stands out for its charged and hypnotizing sound.

Chappell Roan, “Good Luck Babe!”
This upbeat pop song lights up the heart with an eccentric and synth-fused beat that follows a similar pattern of Chappell Roan’s previous music. Released on April 5, “Good Luck, Babe!” is an anthemic song that pumps listeners full of energy, sure to be heard echoing through someone’s headphones during a late night Spotify listen. Smoothly incorporating subtle violins, Roan’s Madonna-esque sound creates the perfect mixture of a song.

Lizzy McAlpine, “Drunk, Running”
A smooth and mesmerizing track, Lizzy McAlpine’s “Drunk, Running” is a slow ballad filled to the brim with heartbreak. This song is perfect for that moment at the end of a long week when all you need is to decompress and relax. Released on April 5 with McAlpine’s newest album, Older, this track features a peaceful and mellow instrumental sure to calm anyone’s mind.

Khalid, “Please Don’t Fall In Love With Me”
Released on April 5, this R&B track flows smoothly, as Khalid enchants listeners with his mesmerizing voice. A track full of soul, passion and desire, Khalid’s rhythm sets the song up for success. “Please Don’t Fall In Love With Me” is worth playing while getting ready in the morning, singing in the shower, hanging out with your friends or focusing on schoolwork.