Smart Shopping: Winter

Pairing a bright coat with a plain outfit can make a simple, chic, and fashion - forward look.
Pairing a bright coat with a plain outfit can make a simple, chic, and fashion – forward look.

Although it seems that fall has just sprung itself upon McLean, the winter season is fast approaching. For the fashion-conscious highlander, this means the ever-anticipated seasonal shopping spree.

WInter is rapidly approaching, and along with it, winter fashion.
Winter is rapidly approaching, and along with it, winter fashion. (Photo courtesy of lhuerta via Flickr)

However fun it is to blow hordes of money, for the more budget-wary Highlanders, here are some ideas for transitioning that cozy fall wardrobe into a smoldering hot winter wardrobe.

1) Incorporate layers. Use camisoles or plain tees to wear under tops for an extra layer of protection from the piercing chill of snow season. Another way to stay warm is by layering thermals under shirts- thin blouses and sweaters, alike. It’s unbelievable the difference just one extra layer makes to the warmth of an outfit.

2) Change the trend to suit your style. This winter, the trends from previous winters have all been resurrected: jewel tones, monochrome, and leather. Try recycling leather pieces from previous seasons, and putting those pieces together with floral spring prints. Incorporating the trends into outfits through accessories and beauty elements gives a nod to the trend without wholly surrendering to the fashion dictators.  Finally, don’t fully submerge an outfit in cur

Pairing a bright coat with a plain outfit can make a simple, chic, and fashion – forward look. (Photo courtesy of practicalowl via Flickr).

rent trends; for example, instead of wearing a solid black outfit, try putting on a bright accent piece to give the monochromatic trend a personal spin.

3) Invest in statement outerwear. Everyone gets especially cold during the dreary winter months, and clamor to find the warmest coats and in that process throw fashion to the wind . Instead of wearing the same old navy or black down-jacket or pea coat, wear a bold color. That way, instead of covering up a stylish outfit with a big, ugly coat, a jazzy jacket will adds an extra layer of pizazz! Another easy way to stay on trend is through the use of scarves, hats, and gloves.