Last minute tests pose problem for MHS students

photo courtesy of Perak Bali

photo courtesy of Perak Bali

The end of the quarter finally comes and students feel relaxed and ready for the long weekend. All of the sudden, students are bombarded with last minute end of quarter tests and projects that can either make or break students grades.

Although McLean students are no strangers to school related stress, it is ridiculous for teachers to try to cram a few final tests at the end of the quarter.  After a few sleep-deprived days of trying to balance all of the surprise assignments, that can potentially lower your grade have students feeling frustrated.

A single test simply does not and should not represent the hard work and dedication students commit to a class over the entire quarter. Having such important assignments ill scheduled is an outrage.

But Fairfax County takes it a step farther. Instead of teachers scheduling reasonable test date for finals, these tests are all take within one week. End of quarter, midterms and final test are inevitable at any public school and do have their place. They make sure students are working hard and understand the given material.

However, since these tests are weighted so heavily on student’s grades, they should be scheduled so students have a chance to actually rest and prepare for the next test instead of taking them all at once.

Not only would this reduce the amount of pressure placed on students, it would allow students to rest and prepare for the next test.

(Photo courtesy of Perak Bali)