McLean basketball to face Herndon

Highlanders on the bounceback after disappointing loss to Wakefield
Connor Li
On Thursday Jan. 24, the Highlanders go away to face the Herndon Hornets. They hope to come back after a disappointing home loss to the Wakefield Warriors.

On Jan. 24 at 7:30pm, the Highlanders will take the long drive off to Herndon High School, looking to improve their record to 12 and 5. Coming off a shaky run of 2 losses and 1 win in the past three games, including a crushing loss to Langley, the Highlanders seek to regain the consistency that marked their winning streak prior to that game.

“Honestly, Herndon should be a game we should win,” senior forward Jeremy Fuchs said. “It should prepare us for the stretch coming up, with Yorktown and Marshall. What plagued us yesterday was missed shots and turnovers. If we’re smarter with the ball and get a couple of those to fall, that’s a game we win.”

The Highlanders have struggled on offence since facing Langley, with injuries depleting the roster of several upperclassmen, and the game against the Hornets will be an important test of resilience to maintain their number one position in the Liberty District, and get back to their winning ways. Fuchs cited turnovers as a main reason for their loss, and head coach Mike O’Brien sees it as a key part of their game plan heading to Herndon.

“We need to keep up the defensive effort we’ve shown in the past few games, take care of the ball a little better, and just put the ball in the hole.” O’Brien said. “To the fans, we hope you can come out and support the team.”