Les Miserables

Les+Miserables

The McLean Drama Department’s production of Victor Hugo’s musical play Les Miserables was a well-balanced blend of touching romanticism and revolutionary spirit.

The story, which was set in revolutionary France, portrayed the struggle of workers and peasants against bourgeois oppression and running-dog imperialism.

The plot follows the story of Jean Valjean, a French peasant who seeks redemption after being imprisoned for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread to feed starving relatives. Valjean decides to break his parole and start his life anew, but is relentlessly tracked down by a police inspector.  Meanwhile, he becomes swept up in the tide of revolution, and he and his comrades make their last stand at a street barricade.

“I have never been a member of the Communist Party, but I was still quite pleased,” said Senior Mererose Daniels.

Audience members were much affected by the element of human struggle in the plot.

“I cried like three times,” said Daniels.

Senior Meriel Walsh played violin for the production.  “This was my first revolutionary musical, and I hope to do more,” said Walsh, “Long live the revolution!”

In addition to it’s romantic and personal elements, the musical included plenty of fodder for old cadres of the Party as well.  The cast finished the production with a stirring reprisal of “Do You Hear the People Sing”, which was reminiscent of the 1965 song and dance epic “The East is Red.”

“My favourite part was the rousing revolutionary songs,” said Junior Nancy Pruett, who gave a stunning performance as Gavroche, an orphaned street urchin who aids the revolution.

A senior who requested to remain anonymous (pictured in a black coat and fur hat) praised the performance: “I was really moved by the revolutionary fervour of the workers in the story.  The musical demonstrated the vitality of the Party’s line and the ardour of the revolutionary spirit, which still burns brightly in our hearts.”

The production was a well-timed reminder of the humble beginnings of the revolution, and how far we have come as we continue the New Long March toward the final liberation.

*Disclaimer: This article is a work of satire.  Neither the author nor any of the people mentioned or pictured here are actually Communists.