All I Want for Christmas review

Dancers impress the audience at the show.

The moment the theater blacked out, the audience was immediately transported to a mystical fantasy world. The loud commotion of the audience was immediately hushed. No one dared whisper as the stage lights turned on. The vivid set that was obviously made with careful precision captivated the audience. A catchy melody played; the show was on.

Encore Theatrical Arts Project (ETAP) is presenting a spectacular Christmas show about the importance of selflessness and gratitude. Mistletoe, a seemingly docile albeit nosey elf, comes in contact with a Christmas letter intended for Santa. The letter was infested with the “gimme gimme flu,” which is an embodiment of the greed and selfishness that children show during Christmastime. While infected with the flu, Mistletoe sets out to take all of the presents for herself and destroy Christmas.

Audra Avery, Emma Konnick, and Caiti Lively beam in their “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” costumes.

The musical features dancing prodigies from all across northern Virginia in Richard J. Ernst Cultural Theatre. Junior Emma Konnick had the pleasure of dancing in the show.

“The five months of hard work paid off when I saw the great reactions from the audience,” Konnick said. “It’s really sad though because it was so much fun rehearsing for the show.”

Konnick, alongside her fellow dancers, is aspiring to be a professional dancer.

“The mission of ETAP is to train and give top class performance opportunities to aspiring professional dancers, singers, and actors,” artistic director Raynor van der Merwe said. “Over the past 17 years 80 percent of our graduates have gone on [to work] professionally in the entertainment industry from Rockettes to Broadway shows to national tours.”

Dancers get the FOX 5 audience in the Christmas spirit during a live broadcast Tuesday, Dec. 11.

The dancers worked very hard to not only learn their dance moves, but also to touch up their acting and singing skills as well.

“I look at my present company members and am very proud of their hard work and dedication,” van der Merwe said. “I have no doubt that many of them will go on to have careers in the dance and theatre industries.”

The dancers proved themselves to be exceptional, and the audience was astounded with their triple threat skills. The musical will be showing next weekend and everyone is welcome. The musical is a lovely way to get into the Christmas spirit and see some wonderful dancers.
Tickets for the show can be purchased at http://www.encore-tap.org.