Starbound review

A Player exploring a tomb. There are 6 playable races with structures styled for each race.

Starbound is a game in development by indie game studio Chucklefish. It was released to open Beta in December of 2013, and has seen numerous updates and patches since. The game is a 2D minecraft on steroids, with procedurally generated universe making the space nearly limitless.

The game has little of a main storyline, instead focusing on an extreme sandbox mode where the player is free to do whatever they. Along with your trusty spaceship and tools, armor, and weapons crafted along the way, the player explores an endless number of unique planets each with their own caves, dungeons, villages and more. They can also create a house, complete quests, or go off and become a farmer.

The game progresses to an extent in a tier system, with the universe divided into 5 sectors of ever increasing difficulty. As each tier unlocks, the player is able to craft more items and better equipment. Generated dungeons and structures also become more interesting and entertaining as planet levels go up.

While the game is still in beta, it is very well along and definitely is worth the $15 on either Steam or the Humble store.