Valentine’s Day: Teachers’ POV

Emily+Love
Emily Love

Valentine’s Day is coming soon, and teachers are planning something special for their spouses. While some teachers appreciate the holiday, others don’t, and only celebrate it because their spouse wants to. Below are the thoughts of Valentine’s Day from teachers’ perspectives as well as descriptions of what they have done in the past.

Mrs. Emily Love

Emily Love
Emily Love

“I enjoy Valentine’s Day. I think it’s fun to get presents. When I was younger, I had a really nice Dad who wrote me a card and sent me flowers in school. Valentine’s Day is great if you’re in a relationship, but if not, you can always have a girls’ night. If you’re familiar with Parks and Recreation, I love the episode called “Galentine’s Day” where all the girls get together.”

Mr. Donald Vivacqua

“I don’t like Valentine’s Day because if people truly love each other, they don’t need a special day. I think it’s a made up holiday. I usually buy my wife a card each year and I used to buy my mother a card. It’s not considered a big deal to me, but I do think it’s neat what we do in the school. It’s also touching what people do for each other. Every year, because someone thinks it’s funny, I get serenaded every year.”

Mrs. Nicole Dulmes

Nicole Dulmes
Nicole Dulmes

“I think it’s a fun holiday, but it’s important to remember that it’s not just for romantic love. I used to get together with my friends and make Valentine cookies. The most awkward Valentine’s Day I had was my first one with my husband that I was dating. We had started dating at the end of January, so we didn’t know each other really well on Valentine’s Day. Now, each year we have a nice dinner. Last year, he surprised me with Italian dinner.”

Valentine’s Day is coming up soon, so teachers are sharing their experiences with Valentine’s Day and deciding whether they like the holiday or not. The teachers often plan something with their spouses and even surprise them in some cases.