Tension between former player and team is augmented by big game

Wes Welker left New England last season for more money from the Broncos. The Patriots go to Denver Sunday, to face off against the Broncos in a heated battle for the AFC title. Photo obtained via (Creative Commons)

An interesting side story at Sunday night’s AFC Championship game between the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots will be the first post season encounter between Wes Welker and the team that made him great. Tension will be high between Welker and the Patriots, due in part to the late November meeting that ended in a recovery by the Pats after Welker decided not to catch a punt that ended up hitting a Bronco. The overtime gaffe led to an easy Patriots field goal that was an unanticipated cap on the largest comeback in Patriots franchise history.

The tension caused by the last game though, pales in comparison to the tension felt when Welker departed for Denver a season ago. Welker left the Patriots after refusing a two year, 10 million dollar contract, instead opting for a 2 year, 12 million dollar contract from the Broncos.

It will be interesting to see how much a Division Championship and Super Bowl bid are worth to Welker after the results of next Sundays game. It will either be respect of an organization and 2 million dollars, or bust.

Although it won’t be the headline story of this Sunday’s game at the mile high stadium in Denver. The drama between the Belichick and Welker isn’t quite finished yet. What is Welkers take on the situation? In response to former New England Linebacker Tedy Bruschi in an ESPN interview.

“I think whatever the most awkward situation that could possibly happen, that’s probably what it’s going to be,” Welker said.