Tyson’s Corner Black Friday 2013: Was it worth it?

Shoppers at Tysons Corner swarm the mall on Black Friday for sales.
Shoppers at Tyson’s Corner swarm the mall on Black Friday for sales.

As families across America were finishing their Thanksgiving dinners, the most determined of consumers were gearing up for the shopping event of the year: the infamously chaotic Black Friday. Stores, too, were preparing for an onslaught of consumers, stationing extra staff and security outside closed gates to allow for some level of order.

In years past, horror stories of fights breaking out over $300 televisions at Best Buys and people being trampled at Walmarts have deterred all but the most driven shoppers from leaving the house on the day after Thanksgiving. Many consider Black Friday to be ironic; after all, the ultimate display of rampant consumerism comes after the day where people are supposed to be content and give thanks.

Irony aside, many of McLean’s young consumers jump at the chance of sales, whether they be off of high-price electronics or popular clothing. Tyson’s Corner is the quintessential shopping destination for most McLean students. On Black Friday, it opens on Thanksgiving at midnight, opening its doors for shoppers to line up at stores offering discounts ranging up to 50% entire stores. The presence of an abundant variety of stores combined with midnight opening times especially for Black Friday hold appeal. McLean freshman Kunkie Barshee is one student who is no stranger to Black Friday and Tyson’s Corner’s “midnight madness”.

“I’ve been to Tyson’s on Black Friday twice before. It’s always really, really crowded even at 3 or 4 am, and sometimes the sales aren’t very good. But I’ve always ended up buying a lot of stuff, usually from Urban Outfitters, which has 50% off all sale, and American Eagle or Abercrombie, which both have 40% off everything,” Barshee said.

Shoppers at Tyson's Corner swarm the mall on Black Friday for sales.

While the savings add up and can be considerable, the headaches that come with it are not to be underestimated. Those in attendance at Tyson’s Corner can be sure to encounter ridiculous amounts of traffic and frustration in the parking lots; in addition, the sheer number of people walking around inside the mall is enough to make anyone agoraphobic (at least temporarily). Furthermore, the lines to buy items stretch far and wide- stores with better deals almost assuredly will have longer lines, requiring from customers the patience of saints. For those heading to the mall early (early meaning late Thanksgiving night) to be the first for certain store openings and sales, the wave of people rushing the entrance upon opening is far more reminiscent of a riot or packed concert than a respectable store.

[embedplusvideo height=”350″ width=”450″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/19zOCgx” standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/st3X07i1pHU?fs=1″ vars=”ytid=st3X07i1pHU&width=450&height=350&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=&notes=” id=”ep8875″ /]

While Black Friday this year has come and gone, now is valuable reflection time. For those who went this year, it is wise to consider experiences had and purchases made. Did the benefits and savings outweigh the cost and hassle? Is it worth it making a Black Friday trip again next year? The answers vary individual to individual, but the significance of the answer holds true for all.