Wizards’ hot streak has fans talking playoffs

John Wall drives to the basket against the Charlotte Bobcats. Wall’s strong play has propelled the Wizards up near the top of the standings so far this season.
John Wall drives to the basket against the Charlotte Bobcats. Wall's strong play has propelled the Wizards up near the top of the standings so far this season.
John Wall drives to the basket against the Charlotte Bobcats. Wall’s strong play has propelled the Wizards towards the top of the Eastern Conference standings so far this season.

In the Washington Wizards’ first 18 games, the team is a mediocre 9-9.  However, that should change with the way they have been playing.  In their in their last 9 games, the team has heated up. Point guard John Wall has led Washington to a 7-2 record over that span, capped with a 98-80 victory over the Orlando Magic on December 2.  Now some people are hoping this new look team can contend for the playoffs and even make a deep run towards bringing an NBA title back to D.C.

The team, which hasn’t finished with a winning record since the 2007-08 season, is trying to take advantage of playing in the Eastern Conference, which is by far the weaker of the two divisions.  Washington currently sits at third in the East, a shock considering they finished 9th in the East last season.

The Wizards are very popular among students of McLean, and many are hoping that this positive play is a sign of things to come.

“I think they have played pretty well so far,” sophomore Nick Malhotra said, “Hopefully they can keep it going.”

The team lost leading scorer Bradley Beal to a stress injury in his leg several weeks ago, and some thought that the Wizards level of play would go down as a result.  However, it has actually given other players a chance to show what they can do.  The Wizards have only lost one game since Beal’s injury, winning four.

Whatever happens by the end of the season, the Wizards have shown that they are capable of being one of the best teams in the NBA, and with the core of young stars on their team, nobody knows just how far they’ll go.

“I really think this could be an interesting season,” Malhotra said, “We’ll just have to wait and see.”