Pokémon Origins: A Tasteful Re-imagining of a Classic Game

pokemon-origins-anime-is-now-online-and-subtitled-watch-hereIf someone is between the ages of five and 45, it’s fair to say that at least one video game has played a large role in their life. From Pacman to the Final Fantasy saga, they’ve provoked both emotion, creativity, and kick-started problem solving skills. Some, however, seem to have a more lasting presence, are able to endear themselves more to gamers. One such hit video game franchise is Pokemon, and now the two games that started it all in 1996 have been reimagined as a four part anime series geared more towards those who picked the originals up as a child.

Pokemon Origins, the show in question, is a short series canon to the world within the first video games of the series, Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue. Unlike the television show that many McLean students grew up with, this new branch off from the games is considerably more mature, and documents the original journey from Red and Blue.

Following the exploits of Red, the initial protagonist in both the manga and the game-boy game respectively, the program closely traces the story set out in the 1996. The nostalgic soundtrack played subtly behind the story, well orchestrated pieces modeled after the classic in-game music, lends a true sense of integrity to the show. Between incredible action scenes, a more mature plot, and impressive character development, the show manages to once again inspire youthful fantasies of “catchin’ them all”.

Both dubbed and subbed in English, the Pokemon Origins series is well worth the relatively short watch. It can be found on a large collection of internet sites, most notably Youtube, and is a must-see for more mature enthusiasts and fans who’d thought they retired their love for Pokemon alike.