Refashioning of Halloween

As fall arrives, Halloween is fast upon us with pumpkins, treats, and tricks. Students at McLean are getting creative with their costumes, with wigs, animal ears, tails, and circle contact lenses to add flare and using the opportunity to pull out their cosplays. (Dressing up as a character) What different and unique costumes are McLean students cooking up this year?

“It’s my first time cosplaying and I chose Ahri because Ahri is a fun hero to play in the game League of Legends,” junior Joy Zhang said “and I really like her gold eyes, so I used her as an excuse to buy gold contacts.”

Taking advantage of Halloween, many decide to cosplay a character of a game or other series, instead of wearing the conventional trick-or-treating attire. The use of colored circle lenses in these costumes adds flare to the outfit, as well as colored wigs.

Student dresses as 'Slender man' from the video game Slender Man
Student dresses as ‘Slender man’ from the video game Slender Man

“[This Halloween is] different from other Halloweens because I usually stay home, eat food, and watch YouTube; and maybe do homework,” Zhang said.

Parts of making costumes different from tradition include the use of circle contact lenses or styling colored wigs as users take dressing up to the next level with staying true to designs by doing them to the last detail.“I bought the contacts and wig from China; the cloth was discounted too and I sewed it together,” Zhang said. “Then I bought cheap cloth from a store in America and just cut out pieces and stitched it together and used fabric paint to paint on some details.”

Video games such as League Of Legends have characters popularly cosplayed by many, as well as various other shows or series that fans dress up as.

I’m doing Alice from the game Alice: Madness Returns,” junior Veronica Balabanova said “I think it’s better to do a detail-focused character costume instead of the usual Frankenstein or other usual outfit for Halloween.”

These practices, brought over from fan cosplaying, engage more in careful attention to the processing of putting together or making a costume, rather than just throwing on generic store-bought garbs.

“So when people ask me if I’m doing Alice from Alice in Wonderland,” Balabanova said “I’ll tell them it’s from Alice: Madness Returns.