10 questions with Cynthia Hawkins, AP psychology teacher

10+questions+with+Cynthia+Hawkins%2C+AP+psychology+teacher++

1. If you could describe your childhood with a song, what song would that be?

The theme song to Mr. Rogers. It absolutely encompasses [it]. I lived a fairly idyllic childhood… It was kind of Midwest and sunshine and rainbows. I had life pretty good, especially compared to the things that I’ve seen as I’ve experienced life.

2. What’s your favorite vacation spot?

I hate to be cliche and say beaches, but it’s got to be. We usually go to Ocean Isle, in North Carolina. Not every summer, but most summers. Since the kids were born, fewer times… But before that that’s where we would go!

3. Tell me about your kids!

They’re ridiculous and hysterical and educational and amazing and I watch them every day and say “How are you a little person that I created?!” It’s unreal. Adelaide has just turned 3, and Kenny is almost 5, and they are their best friends. They’re constantly hugging on each other [and] checking in on each other. They are so ridiculously cute. They’re just funny!

4. What got you interested in psychology?

I took Psych 101 in college, and it is awesome. I actually majored in history. Contemporary American history was my focus, and then I have a Bachelors in history and a minor in Psych, because I took that class and thought “Let’s do more of this, this is interesting.”

5. If you could go to any concert for any musical band of all time, what would it be?

Well I never got to see the Beatles, and I love the Beatles so I would love that. But probably the best concert I’ve ever been to was Pearl Jam on the Vs. tour, and I would really love to see Pearl Jam in the Vs. mode again, with original members and not playing anything from Vitalogy. Although there are a couple things from Vitalogy I like, anything past Vitalogy I’m not really into.

6. Favorite Starbucks drink?

I like the Salted Caramel Latte the best.

How about in the summer?

I usually go Iced Venti Vanilla Latte, or sometimes I go Hazelnut Latte.

7. If you could have lunch with any famous person, who would it be?

Matt Damon. Love him. My husband would object, I’m sure, but I heart Matt Damon so much! He’s very supportive of teachers, and the idea that over testing is ruining education, and that is something I would enjoy talking to him about while I stare at him.

8. If you were given a thousand dollars, what would you spend it on?

Ouch. Well I don’t ever really buy myself things, so I would probably want to spend it on myself because I never get to… However, a thousand dollars is a lot of money and I think that it would be… I don’t know! I don’t know what I would do. My kids don’t need anything else… They’re happy and healthy and they don’t need stuff, but it’s usually my default to try and provide things for them. Gosh. A thousand dollars. Probably take a vacation… Maybe pay off a bill. I’d probably do something practical with it.

9. Favorite shade of blue?

Cobalt. Bright, vibrant, cobalt blue.

10. Favorite sport to watch?

Football. College football, because I hate the NFL. I also hate the NBA, but I don’t hate the MLB. I prefer college sports because of the loyalty and the tradition associated with it, and I am not a fan of “Play for your highest bidder.”