“Wandavision” wraps up first season

Marvel’s newest show leaves fans excited for the future of the franchise

Ana Paula Ibarraran, Opinions Editor

Warning: this article contains spoilers for Wandavision

Every Friday night for the past two months, people have been tuning in to Disney+ to watch the latest episode of Wandavision. On March 5, the series came to an end, with some major revelations and hints about what the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is going to look like in “Phase 4,” the term Marvel has used to refer to films and shows following Avengers: Endgame.

After the shocking events of Endgame in 2019, many Marvel fans were left to wonder what was going to become of the remaining characters. Disney almost immediately started announcing the release of multiple new shows on its streaming platform, one of those being Wandavision. 

The show revolves around the lives of two of the main characters from the MCU, Wanda Maximoff and Vision, and their life together, or at least the life Wanda created, following the events of Avengers: Infinity War. Viewers see the couple live through the sitcom style of each decade, causing viewers to grow a sort of emotional attachment to Wanda and Vision.

“Honestly, I think most people didn’t really care all that much about Vision before,” junior Josie Conyers said. “After seeing him and Wanda together, and how much they love and rely on each other, you grow to care about both of the characters.”

In each episode, an event takes place that seems out of place with the rest of the episode. For example, in the third episode, “Now in Color,” after Wanda gives birth to her twins, she begins talking to her neighbor Geraldine about her brother Pietro who had died in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Geraldine then says, “He was killed by Ultron, wasn’t he?”

Of course, this event throws off the whole course of the show, which seems to be taking place in a reality where none of the previous events from the MCU have occurred. These bizarre events, which happened over the course of the first three episodes, were later explained during the fourth episode, “We Interrupt This Program.”

“I found it really interesting how [Marvel] chose to slowly explain Wanda’s universe,” junior Sophie Tursi said. “It made the show much more engaging but also gave [the audience] more time to process the explanations they gave us.”

The show then took a turn, splitting time in between Wanda’s reality and the real world. Towards the end of the seventh episode, “Breaking the Fourth Wall,” a major turning point occurs when it is revealed that Wanda’s nosy neighbor Agnes is actually a witch named Agatha Harkness. This becomes the driving plot line behind the remaining two episodes.

“Agatha’s whole character arc was definitely a major plot twist, and I think it’s really interesting how they hinted in the last episode that she’s going to be coming back in some way,” Conyers said.

The finale episode was jam-packed with action from the very beginning to the end, and included many events that are sure to be a key part in the next phase of the MCU.

“I definitely think [Wanda’s] whole transition into the Scarlet Witch will be important in the future,” freshman Caf Eaton said. “I think it’s going to open up the whole idea of the multiverse in other Marvel movies and shows.”

As thrilling as the finale was, it also included some of the most emotional moments from the MCU, with Wanda ultimately deciding at the end to destroy the alternate reality she has created, and subsequently having to say goodbye to her family who would disappear as well.

“It was so sad watching Vision die for the third time,” Tursi said. “However, I really liked how Marvel didn’t try to overshadow Wanda’s grief with jokes or one-liners like they do in the movies.”

With the series drawing to a close, Marvel fans have been given some hints as to who will be the major players in “Phase 4,” as well as how the events of this show tie into fan theories that have been circulating around the Internet.

“You can tell Marvel is setting up Wanda to be a key figure in Phase 4, as well as Dr. Strange because of both of their involvements in alternate realities,” Conyers said. “This makes me excited for Spider-Man: No Way Home as it has been rumored that the cast involves actors who have previously played the role of Spider-Man.”