Post Malone’s new album is lackluster

The album shows potential but comes up short

The unique album cover from Beerbongs and Bentleys (Image obtained via Creative Commons)

Ross Oliver, Reporter

Austin Post, better known as Post Malone, is a 22-year-old rapper who is quickly becoming a household name. He started to gain traction in 2015 when “White Iverson” went viral on Soundcloud. In 2016, his first album Stoney gained him even more fame with hit songs like “Congratulations” and “Fall Apart” cementing himself as a solid artist. However,  Stoney received a mixed critical reception, with most seeing it as listenable and shows flashes of potential that Post Malone would start to stand out with his unique voice and style.

Post Malone’s second album Beerbongs & Bentleys released on April 27, 2018, and also has hit songs on it, like “Rockstar” and “Psycho” The album is very reminiscent of Stoney with it having hit songs and showing the potential of Post Malone. This album is very hit and miss with some songs. His melodic, calm flow shines strong on songs like “Paranoid,” “Stay,” and “Blame It on Me,” but misses on songs like “Same B*tches,” “Spoil My Night,” and “Jonestown”.

In addition, the album is reminiscent to Stoney by having the same flashes of potential of having his own style, but some of it just sounds like generic rap. This makes the album seem a little disappointment and lackluster. I expected Post Malone to evolve from Stoney, and he’s taking baby steps. There are some improvements, but not that noticeable, and still seems to not have a unique style. Even some of the songs feel the exact same, and sometimes when I’m listening , I can’t even tell when the tracks have changed.

Austin Post, aka Post Malone, at a 2018 event. (Image Obtained via Creative Commons)

Another confusing thing is the message of the album, since there seems to be none, and more of just made for the streaming hits on Spotify. The lyrics aren’t very meaningful in most songs which equates to bland trap. This album doesn’t need the 18 songs on it, since most don’t dazzle or surprise the listener with anything meaningful.

However, the album is listenable and nice to  relax to, because of Post Malone’s mellifluous voice. It’s a nice album to vibe to, but there’s no real meaning behind it, and there is no need for 18 tracks.

RATING: C+