9 to 5 the Musical theater production comes to a close

The final production of the year left the crowd in a standing ovation

Abby Covington , Erica Bass,Haley Rose, Benji Harris and Trevor Hazen (12) perform one of the final scenes of 9 to 5 on April 29. The performance received a standing ovation. (Photo courtesy of Lindsay Benedict)

Rohan Mani, Reporter

9 to 5, the final production for TheatreMcLean ended in success as crowds rose for a standing ovations after its conclusion.  During April 26-29, 2018, the play packed theaters every night focusing on the struggles of three female co-workers against their sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot boss.

“I think the play focuses on a really relevant topic such as sexism and female harassment, but it’s also a really mature and funny show. The topic is a often talked about aspect of  work culture all around, but also is able to leave the audience with a lot of laughter,” sophomore Sophie Camus said.

The cast and technology departments have been working since January in order to produce the hit show.

“We have been doing this for months. This last week, in fact, we have been rehearsing from 3pm-10pm every day. This past Saturday we were there for fourteen hours. We have been working really hard,” said sophomore Erica Bass, who played Doralee.

The hard work put in was visible during the play which engrossed the audience into a relevant global issue in a fun way.

Sophomore Benjamin Pham who attended the play enjoyed its comedic elements along with the message it was sending,

“The play beautifully blended comedy with a worldwide issue making the play enjoyable for all. The actors really fulfilled their roles resulting in a high-quality performance,” he said.

A key aspect of the play which many seemed to enjoy was the fun nature of the songs written by Dolly Parton and the cast’s ability to perform them flawlessly.

“The really special part of this play is the music. I love the very different styles, for example, one song feels Disney while other songs are kind of country, etc. There’s a lot of variety and comedy in them which makes it really fun,” Camus said.

In the end, the amusing manner in which three female workers rose from mere secretaries to CEOs made for a high-quality drama capping off yet another successful production for TheatreMcLean.