Four alternative albums to look for in 2017

Melanie Pincus, Editor-in-Chief

Vanguard Records

1. Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, Zombies on Broadway, Feb. 10, 2017

Andrew McMahon’s music has evolved considerably since his days as the frontman of pop punk band Something Corporate. From years of rock and pop punk has risen upbeat music driven by McMahon’s signature storytelling lyrics. On his 2013 EP The Pop Underground, McMahon began to incorporate more electronic elements in his music. The three singles released so far from the new album demonstrate a blend between synthesized sounds and McMahon’s distinctive piano lines. This March, AMiTW will embark on the Zombies in America tour with Night Riots and Atlas Genius.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNurhLNh10R/

2. Vinyl Theatre, album name and release date TBA

Vinyl Theatre released their debut album, Electrogram, on Fueled by Ramen in 2014 following an independent release in 2013. The band has released few details about their upcoming album, but has hinted on their Instagram that a new album is in the works. Vinyl Theatre will be touring in support of Dashboard Confidential in January and February.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BODDP8eATNS/

3. Bleachers, album name and release date TBA

Bleachers is the moniker for the solo project of Jack Antonoff, also known as Fun.’s guitarist and previously as the frontman for indie rock band Steel Train. Bleachers released its debut album, Strange Desire, in 2014, including singles I Wanna Get Better and Rollercoaster which garnered significant radio play. Although Antonoff has yet to reveal a release date for his sophomore album, posts on social media suggest the album could be coming soon.

Direct Hits, The Killers’s greatest hits album, was released in 2014. Island Records.

4. The Killers, album name and release date TBA

It’s been four years since The Killers last released a full-length album, but the group plans to come back with a new record in 2017. The description of a best-of Spotify playlist created by the band promises “our best songs ever are going to be on the next album.” The band hasn’t toured much since 2012, as its members have pursued independent projects, so here’s hoping the new album will be accompanied by a national tour. (Also, check out the lead singer of Vinyl Theatre covering The Killers here).