MSA fundraising with henna

MSA's flyer for the club's fundraiser on Dec. 19. (Photo courtesy of Aisha Rashid)
MSA’s flyer for the club’s first fundraiser on Dec. 19. (Photo courtesy of Aisha Rashid)

The Muslim Students Association at McLean High School will be having its second fundraiser on Thursday, Jan. 23, at the front of the school, in front of the auditorium. MSA members will apply henna designs on palms and backs of hands for $5. The fundraiser took place from 2:00 to 3:00 PM.

Henna is a plant whose dye is often used for temporary tattooing purposes, originating in the Middle East.

“Henna is usually a floral design that fades after a week or so,” sophomore Aisha Rashid said.

Additionally, use of henna as hair dye is quite popular and available in most countries in the world. Hair color after application differs for every person, as it depends on original hair color and texture.

“The reason we’re fundraising is for this annual event called DC MIST, which stands for Muslim Interscholastic Tournament,” Rashid said.

According to DC MIST’s website, “MIST is a fun, educational, interactive program of competitions and workshops geared towards bringing high school students together from around the nation to develop leadership, communication, and other creative skills in order to develop a strong identity.”