What to do in October

The+Mosaic+District+Shopping+Center+has+grown+popular%2C+with+the+Angelika+Film+Center+to+be+one+of+its+best+attractions.+Though+located+next+to+the+highway%2C+its+%E2%80%9CFilms+in+the+Park%E2%80%9D+event+proves+it+to+be+a+great+place+to+relax.+
The Mosaic District Shopping Center has grown popular, with the Angelika Film Center to be one of its best attractions. Though located next to the highway, its “Films in the Park” event proves it to be a great place to relax.

It’s officially autumn, which means it’s time to break out the sweaters and pumpkin spice drinks. Even though there isn’t as much free time as there was in the summer, there are still plenty of activities to do on the weekends before the temperatures start to drop. Here are some ideas for the month of October.

1) Mosaic District’s Films in the Park

The Angelika Film Center, located in Merrifield, shows movies on their big outdoor screen every Friday night. Before the movie starts, there are several restaurants open to grab a bite, and there many stores to shop at. There is no possible way to become bored. The movie nights are great for both families, friends, and even dates. Just be sure to grab a blanket and arrive early. Check out http://www.mosaicdistrict.com/events/films-park for the roster of movies.

2) Taste of DC

The annual Taste of DC event will take place on Oct. 12-13 this year. This two-day event features dishes and tastings from over 70 of DC’s best restaurants, food trucks, and more. Five blocks of Pennsylvania Avenue are filled with delicious food, entertainment, and eating competitions. It is guaranteed that stomachs will be filled. To buy tickets and to get more information, go to http://thetasteofdc.org/.

3) Volunteerfest

Fairfax County’s 19th annual Volunteerfest will be held on Oct. 26. With over 20 events, Volunteerfest is a day dedicated to volunteer work. Do something for the community by participating! Volunteering work includes the removal of invasive species, trash pick-ups, and more. To volunteer for an event or to find the nearest location, go to http://volunteerfairfax.civicore.com/index.php?section=volunteerFest&action=main.