Don’t forget the oldies

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Cover
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Cover

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Cover
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Cover

Whether it is a light romantic chick-flick or an emotional melodrama, countless movies are released each week.  With so many new films it is extremely easy and sadly inevitable to forget some of the best.

But first of all, let me give you my definition of what is a good movie. When you walk out of the movie theatres with popcorn stuck to your shirt and sole of your shoes, you want to be able to remember it. A good movie sticks with you. It is that simple.

So here it goes. The most entertaining, yet forgotten movie of the 20th century is “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels”. Directed by Franz Oz in 1988, it is an extremely entertaining comedy starring Steve Martin as well as Michael Caine.

It is a story about two conmen, Freddy Benson, who is portrayed by Martin, and Lawrence Jamieson, who is acted out by Cane. Both use women to get money; however, they have very distinct ways of doing it. The stark contrast between the posh, seemingly sophisticated British man named Lawrence and the loud, ragged American Freddy is what makes this movie a complete hit.

These two men meet in a train on their way to the French Riviera of Beaumont. After they realize that they both have the same “profession” as conmen, they decide to make a competition out of it: whoever can get $ 50,000 from the rich American woman called Jane Colgate, who is acted out by Glenne Headly, can stay in Beaumont. The perks of being able to stay there are meeting extremely wealthy women, who can furthermore be used for their money. Trying to impress this one woman with their individually made-up stories, the two men jump through every possible hoop to beat the other.

As to be expected, this woman becomes more than just an item of the competition. She conquers both their hearts with her caring and warm-hearted nature. From then on this bet becomes of much greater importance.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Whip Scene
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Whip Scene

The actors are spectacular and their chemistry is not to be overlooked. The setting of the movie is in the extremely beautiful French Riviera, adding to the glamour of the rich lifestyle that these conmen so desperately seek. The highlighted contrasts between the lifestyles of the rich and the poor are portrayed in a funny and intriguing fashion. With a good mix of witty lines and sentimental moments, the director accomplishes a good balance of emotion.

My favorite scene of the movie is when Freddy pretends to be in a wheelchair, unable to feel his legs in order to get sympathy money from Jane Colgate. To destroy his tactic of winning the bet, Lawrence acts as a doctor, who wants to “fix” Freddy’s disability. With that power in his hands, Lawrence whips Freddy’s legs to show that he can’t feel anything, even though Freddy feels every slap, since he isn’t actually disabled. In this instance, Lawrence takes advantage of Freddy, who is playing the part of the victim.

While you could stick old movies in a box and put them up in your misty attic, you could be missing out tremendously. So my suggestion is to sit down one day, make yourself some homemade popcorn and simply enjoy an Oldie, such as this one, my all-time favorite movie.

[embedplusvideo height=”300″ width=”450″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/1bwNErN” standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/lSC2U2yYESw?fs=1″ vars=”ytid=lSC2U2yYESw&width=450&height=300&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=&notes=” id=”ep2357″ /]