The need for noodles

New Falls Church ramen restaurant surpasses expectations
The Spicy Kyushu Tonkotsu Ramen is a flavorful blend of soft pork, salty seaweed, bamboo shoots, nori, corn, scallions, and half a boiled egg, tied together with slightly al dente ramen noodles.

Falls Church’s newest ramen restaurant, Kyuramen, is one of several new and delicious developments in the Founders Row establishment. Despite having opened in Nov 2023, lines still extend out the door, which set our expectations high for our dining experience, and we were not disappointed. Judging by the atmosphere alone, the tables were neatly set with a variety of spices. The tables themselves all looked different, some cozied up in hexagonal nooks on the second level, others secluded in dining rooms with curtains drawn, and others still on the main floor and at the bar. Before we even got the chance to order, the buzzing environment and adorable place settings made us optimistic about our meal.
Purple sweet potato fries – 3 out of 5
We started our meal with a small basket of purple sweet potato fries, which arrived at our table almost as soon as we placed the order. After biting into a fry, the first thing that caught our attention was the striking violet color of the potatoes. Unfortunately, the fry itself had no real flavor. Coated in a layer of thick breading, the potato was very greasy and lacked any evident seasoning. Luckily, the dish was saved by the creamy sauce that accompanied it, which felt very reminiscent of Chick-fil-A sauce.
Steam Pork Bao Buns – 5 out of 5
This dish was the perfect combination of sweet and savory, with braised pork and fresh vegetables wrapped in a soft Bao Bun, complete with an adorable imprint of the Kyuramen logo on top, all for just $4.25 ($8.49 for two). The texture of the bun was something to write home about, with crunchy vegetables contrasting beautifully with the doughy Bao Bun and tender pork. The pork itself was braised in a sweet, lightly salted glaze that was so good we would honestly drink it plain. Though we had very few expectations going into this appetizer, the Bao Buns were a strong start that established high expectations for the rest of the meal.
Korean Kimchi Ramen – 5 out of 5
This dish was a multilayered explosion of flavor that made for the perfect meal, both exciting and satisfying to eat. For $15.99, Kyuramen does not skimp on their portions and provides a deep and filling bowl of ramen in addition to delicious flavors. The multiple aspects of this dish made every bite a delight with kimchi, Japanese-braised pork, bamboo shoots, a type of seaweed known as wakame, nori, corn, scallion and a half-marinated egg in addition to the typical wheat noodles in pork broth. The crunchy seaweed worked smoothly alongside the soft noodles and egg to create a perfect blend of textures in this dish. Perfect for those who enjoy moderate levels of spice, the pork broth added a flavorful kick at the end of each unique bite. This ramen was definitely worth the thirty-minute wait for a table, warming me up from the inside out and lingering on my mind for hours after.
Spicy Kyushu Tonkotsu Ramen – 4 out of 5
Upon ordering this dish, I was prompted to select between medium spice or hot spice. As a word of caution to anyone considering this meal, the medium version is perfectly spicy, especially for those with a lower spice tolerance. The flavoring was exceptional, especially after starting with the more bland purple potato fries. The pork was so soft that it fell apart as we were eating it, and was enriched with flavor after absorbing the spicy broth. The noodles contrasted the soft pork beautifully with their slightly al dente texture, and the various vegetables added a cool and crunchy taste. Everything about this dish was deserving of 5 stars, if it weren’t for the excessively salty seaweed. With its spicy flavoring, the soup was already rather salty, and the addition of seaweed pushed my taste buds over the limit. Even with that small flaw, if you love spicy foods I would highly recommend ordering this ramen.