Jazz band swings into motion

A deep dive into the McLean jazz band
Jazz ensemble first performs for McLean at the winter concert during school. The band performed “Hay Burner,” “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” “White Christmas” and “Here Comes Santa Claus.”

Following the triumphant sounds of the McLean marching band at football games, a new ensemble of musicians and instruments join together to fill the quiet winter hallways.
Jazz band has been at McLean for decades and holds auditions every October towards the end of the marching band season. After auditions are complete, musicians are split into the more advanced groups, jazz ensemble, and jazz workshop.

“We have so many students interested in jazz that I can’t possibly fit them all into one ensemble,” said Scott Weinhold, jazz ensemble director. “[The band directors] are committed to making jazz available to as many students as possible.”

Jazz music is distinct from classical styles, as it has a unique sound and incorporates specific instruments. The genre is known for its difficult rhythmic patterns and articulation which can be challenging even for experienced musicians.

“In marching band you’re playing big music, focusing on technique, the band’s overall sound, and putting together a good show,” said sophomore Hayden Schweikert, tenor saxophonist. “In jazz, you get much more individuality with solos but you’re still focusing on the sound as a band.”

The unique components of jazz band open opportunities for students not currently enrolled in McLean band. Jazz features a wide range of instruments such as timpanis, jazz drums, guitar, string bass, and most notably, vocals.

“As a vocalist, it’s a really fun experience to be able to work in a different style compared to classical styles,” sophomore vocalist Mia Mortman said. “It’s challenging to learn a new style but it’s really rewarding and nice to work with members of the band.”

Students from other music groups at McLean are able to participate as well.
“It feels very liberating to be in [both] jazz and orchestra and play a different style of music,” said sophomore Joe Daniels, cellist and string bassist.

Towards the end of the school year, the jazz band enters a competition against other bands from Fairfax County. The competition is held throughout the course of several days where they perform multiple pieces in front of a judge panel. Once the top three jazz bands in the county are determined, each band returns for another performance for rescoring.

“The most competitive jazz competition for us is the one hosted by Chantilly High School in May and we took third place last year,” Weinhold said. “Historically we’ve placed second and third a handful of times so I would love to win it before I retire.”

Another event that the jazz musicians look towards is the performance at Jammin’ Java, a live music venue in Vienna. The Longfellow Middle School jazz band performs as well.

“A lot of alumni tend to show up and it’s a less pressure environment since it’s mainly for friends and family who enjoy jazz,” Schweikert said. “We also get to see the middle school jazz band perform for the first time so it’s cool to see how they’ve grown.”

The jazz ensemble continues until the end of the school year and rehearses after school twice a week.

“The staff and administration have always been incredibly supportive, but I don’t know how much the student body knows about who we are,” Weinhold said. “I wish that we had more opportunities to perform for the staff and students at McLean.”