Lesser-known clubs at McLean deserve attention

[lightbox_image src=’https://thehighlandernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sequencer-snapshot.png’ bigimage=’asdf’ title=’Reason 5 software used by Club Electronica’]

For those looking for things to do after school, look no further. Here are some great clubs for interested people to join:

Ultimate Frisbee Club – Founded in September, this club allows its members to learn about Ultimate Frisbee strategies every Thursday, immediately after school for about 20 minutes, in room G254. After the meeting, members and their friends are invited to play a pickup game for around two hours at Lewinsville Park. The Ultimate Frisbee club provides a chance to exercise and make new friends in a relaxed environment. The club is scheduled for a friendly match wtih students from Thomas Jefferson High School on Feb. 9 at 3:30 p.m., and all are welcome to participate.

Chess Club – This club meets at least once a week, every Monday in room B167, with additional meetings to be announced on its Facebook page. Everyone is welcome to play regardless of skill level. Although there are no club dues, members are encouraged to bring chess boards and food to share with others.

Science Olympiad – Restarted in 2009, this club has accomplished a lot since then.  The club was awarded first place in Forensics and Gliders at the Battle at Valley Forge Conestoga Invitational this year. “[Science Olympiad] has been growing both in success and size,” junior Peter Steele said.

Club Electronica – This is the perfect club for those interested in electronic music. Members not only tell each other about upcoming electronic music concerts, but also make and share their own music, as well as break down the elements that make up electronic music. There are no requirements to join, but having a good computer is recommended.