Rust shines like silver

A basic structure built in rust. Players are able to make private bases through the use doors only one individual can open.

Rust is a new survival style computer game that launched in late 2013. Made by indie game developers Facepunch Studios, the creators of the popular steam game Garry’s Mod. It is described best as a mix of Minecraft and DayZ, having similar elements to both games.

In Rust, the player spawns in the middle of an island, completely naked and with only a rock, a bandage, and a torch. They must gather resources such as wood, food, cloth and metal as they explore the island and avoid the numerous dangers posed by the natural environment.

Slowly, players will gather resources and upgrade their gear, acquiring clothes, weapons, and, most importantly, a home. All of this is done with either the help or hindrance of other players, as Rust is solely a multiplayer game.

As of now, rust is still in alpha development. However, the creators are doing a good job of showing progress and interacting with the community.

“It’s a pretty interesting design,” senior John Celengil said. “The game definitely shows a lot of promise.”

While Rust currently is rather limited in scope, it is a very engaging game that you could easily spend hours on at a time. I highly recommend buying the game for $20.00 on Steam, or at least paying attention to its development in the coming months.