Foo Fighters Album Review

By Sophie Mariam (reporter) & Ingrid Morse (advertising manager)

Many Foo Fighters fans would know the band for their rock sound and exciting songs, and were exciting when their new album Sonic Highways came out. There was a lot of anticipation surrounding the release of the album, and a very interesting and in-depth creation process behind each song.

For every song recorded for the album, the band traveled to a different city in the U.S. This allowed for an innovative style and definitely brought something new to the table for the Foo Fighters.

When first listening to the album, we both went into it expecting another alternative-rock album similar to the bands previous material. Although the band maintained their style and overall sound, they used each individual city they visited as a way to enhance and create a different style in a, in our opinion, successful attempt to add something new and different to each track.

Congregation, which was recorded in Nashville, incorporated a unique country sound clearly influenced by the city. Outside was another song that felt highly influenced by the choice of city, which in this case was California, adding a true West coast vibe to the bands hard rock “vibe”.

Something from Nothing was a personal favorite that we felt did stay true to the band’s style while still offering something special in the hook and chorus. Some of the songs were a little bit too lengthy and repetitive for either of our taste, such as I am a River and Subterranean.  

Overall the album offers the hard rock genre, with a few twists due to the innovative creation process. This album is perfect for previous fans of this band and genre. However, for those who don’t typically enjoy that genre or the bands past music it may seem repetitive throughout the album.