“The Interview” is dangerously funny

The Interview is dangerously funny

By Hannah Menchel 

Editor-in-Chief

The Interview is a movie that should be seen, if only for the satisfaction of watching a movie that Kim Jong-Un very much did not want anyone to be seeing at all. It is a stupid and raucous comedy, but one that pleases for its ripping apart of Kim Jong Un, and its jokes that get a lot of laughs.

The Interview follows Dave Skylark (James Franco), the host of celebrity interview show “Skylark Tonight”, and his friend and producer, Aaron Rapoport (Seth Rogan). After completing one thousand shows together, Aaron wants to delve into more serious substance matter, and an opportunity presents itself when the pair find out that North Korean dictator and human rights violator Kim Jong Un (Randall Park) is a fan of the show. Dave and Aaron are soon recruited by Agent Lacey (Lizzie Caplan) to take out the dictator.

The film that follows is at times disjointed- some of the jokes fall flat, but for the most part, the movie is wildly funny throughout. Park as Kim Jong Un delivers a particularly hysterical performance, while Franco delivers a hilariously awful one. This is a film that should be watched with a friend- the film is made funnier by laughing with other people by your side.

The Interview is not for those who are squeamish- the violence at the end is quite gory. The film is rated R for a reason- as well as the gore, the Interview has quite a lot of crude jokes and bad language. In addition, at almost two hours the movie can feel long and lost in stretches- some of the scenes set in North Korea particularly are a little bit repetitive and boring.

Overall, however, The Interview is worth the watch, even if only to say that you have watched it.