Rice Culture puts a twist to Asian desserts

Japanese pastry shop in Vienna carries unique style
Rice Cultures Bacon and Cheese Taiyaki (left) and Ube Taiyaki (right).

Gaining popularity for their beautifully designed desserts across social media, Rice Culture, located on 2672 Avenir Pl, had their grand opening on January 20th. The shop prides itself in selling a twist on Japanese street food, which consists of a variety of popular Asian flavors of soft serve ice cream and taiyaki, a fish shaped cake.
Ube Taiyaki 5/5
The Ube Taiyaki surpassed every expectation of how typical desserts taste. Rice Culture perfected the amount of ube, along with a unique flavor that represents Filipino culture. The taiyaki itself balances out the ube filling with a crisp shell and soft inside. Altogether, the Ube Taiyaki makes for a great snack or quick dessert, with a pop of purple from the ube.
Bacon and Cheese Taiyaki 4/5
The bacon and cheese taiyaki is unique to the Rice Culture menu as it is their only savory item. The crisp bread on the outside provides the perfect crunch, revealing the fluffiness of the warm breading on the inside. The fish was filled with a generous amount of bacon bits but the lack of cheese left disappointment. Overall this is a great savory snack, but not a recommendation for cheese lovers.
Vanilla 3/5
The thick custard enveloped by a deliciously crunchy shell, was creamy and smooth. Although the sweetness and flavor of the vanilla filling was very strong, for some the level of sweetness may be a bit overwhelming.
Black Sesame 3/5
The presentation of this dessert did not disappoint as the thickness of the soft serve allows for a perfect swirl. The sweetness of this desert balances well with the nutty aftertaste of black sesame. Although this wouldn’t be ranked high on our roster, this is the perfect dessert for any black sesame fans.
Cardamom Rose 2/5
The strong hints of rose were quite apparent in the flavor of this dessert. The cardamom added a unique taste to the soft serve as well. Additionally, the floral aftertaste stood true to its name. We do not recommend this to those who do not like the taste of rose, but overall we enjoyed the experience and food.