Spanish National Honor Society initiates book club

McLean’s SNHS plans to discuss impactful bestseller, En el Tiempo de las Mariposas
SNHSs new read, En el Tiempo de las Mariposas, will explore the intricate lives of the Mirabal sisters who played a crucial part in the Dominican Republics resistance against the rule of Rafael Trujillo.
Audible
SNHS’s new read, En el Tiempo de las Mariposas, will explore the intricate lives of the Mirabal sisters who played a crucial part in the Dominican Republic’s resistance against the rule of Rafael Trujillo.

In an effort to deepen the student body’s understanding of Spanish literature and promote cultural enrichment, McLean’s Spanish National Honor Society (SNHS) has launched its very own book club.

“[The society] felt that the book club would be another way that Hispanic individuals and individuals learning Spanish could connect, make new friends, and practice the language,” said senior Diana Hernandez, the officer of SNHS’s cultural promotion. “Personally, I also liked the idea because reading is a way to retain the language.”

[The society] felt that the book club would be another way that Hispanic individuals and individuals learning Spanish could connect, make new friends, and practice the language.”

— Diana Hernandez

SNHS’s starting novel will be the compelling and historically significant bestseller, En el Tiempo de las Mariposas, by Julia Alvarez.

The story delves into the lives of the Mirabal sisters, also known as the Butterflies, who played a pivotal role in the Dominican Republic’s struggle against the oppressive regime of Rafael Trujillo. The novel is a testament to the resilience of the human spirit and the sacrifices made for freedom and justice.

“I hope that we get a motivated reading group and we have fun,” Hernandez said. “This activity will be great for meeting new people.”

Through the exploration of En el Tiempo de las Mariposas, members of the book club will engage in discussions about the impact of literature in sharing the stories of those who have fought for justice.

“[At the meetings,] we will not only be discussing and analyzing the books, but also playing some games related to the themes of the novel,” Hernandez said.

The book club will be open to any participants who are interested as enrollment in a Spanish class or SNHS is not required. As of now, the book club plans to meet during Highlander Time and hopes that the following novels will be decided by the votes of members.

The launch of the SNHS book club will enrich the academic experience of its members while also extending an invitation to the broader student body to explore the diverse world of Hispanic literature. By choosing a novel deeply rooted in history, the SNHS hopes to instill a sense of cultural understanding and appreciation in McLean, fostering an environment of empathy and global awareness.