Highlanders celebrate winter spirit week

Students and teachers embrace school spirit, dressing up for winter themes
Freshmen Mia Jander, Eva Braccia and Ben Urwin Pinto wear their jerseys for Wednesday’s spirit day.

Leading up to the varsity boys’ and girls’ basketball games against cross-town rival Langley High School on Jan. 12, McLean’s Leadership class organized daily themes for a winter spirit week. Students showed off their school spirit throughout the week with high participation.

The week started off with Monday as comfy day, with many students wearing pajamas to school.

“Comfy out was a great opportunity to wear whatever I felt like wearing,” junior Fiorella Thornberg said.

Spirit week continued onto Tuesday’s “ice out” theme, for which students were decked out in their best snow day gear.

“Seeing everyone’s “ice out” fits made me wish we could have a real snow day,” junior Veronica Buzzi said. “It was great seeing everybody come together.”

Wednesday was jersey day, which was proven to be the most popular as many students were seen rocking their favorite sports teams.

“It was great seeing people wear some of my favorite teams, it helped me feel more connected to them,” Thornberg said.

As the week came to an end, more students engaged in spirit week. On Thursday, many were seen sporting flannels for the penultimate spirit day.

“Flannel day was my favorite because it was the easiest for me to do,” senior Sara Mamazada said. “I saw a lot of other people wearing flannels as well.”

Finally, the week concluded with Friday as the blackout, in which students wore all black outfits, driving school spirit to an apogee before the glow-in-the-dark pep rally and varsity basketball doubleheader against Langley.

“Holding a spirit week gives students something fun to look forward to,” junior McLeadership student Jora Shkullaku said.