Asian American Association prepares for Lunar New Year

AAA plans activities and creative events for Lunar New Year
Courtesy of Madeleine Hsueh
At the Asian American Association’s most recent meeting, they hosted a guest speaker for a Q&A. Jessica Lin, a former president of the Asian American Association talks about her college experiences and answers any questions students may have.

With the upcoming Lunar New Year, old traditions are being revived. Similarly, new ones are created for generations to come. When the Lunar New Year approaches, the Asian American Association (AAA) and Chinese club at McLean will be hosting a joint celebration.

“My activities officer Brandon is working with the [president of the Chinese club] to have a collab meeting for our Lunar New Year meeting,” said senior Madeleine Hsueh, co-president of the AAA. “It’s going to be during the week between February 5 and 10, [most likely] the sixth or the seventh.”

The club plans to purchase food with recent funds made from the Holiday Bazaar.

“We really like to support our local Asian restaurants in the area, small businesses, that kind of thing so we’ll probably get some Chinese food,” Hsueh said.

The food of choice and restaurant are yet to be determined by the club and its members.

“I think a popular one that I personally like to go to is China Wok,” Hsueh said. “They have really good food for pretty decent prices, so we might get that.”

In addition to cuisine, a variety of games to play will be available at the meeting.

“[We are bringing] in some different Asian games, I know we did that in the past, last year we played the Korean game go-stop,” Hsueh said. “It’s really whatever people want to play, so long as they know how to play it.”

All in all, everyone that goes to the meeting will be welcomed with delicious food and entertainment, no matter their ethnicity or race.

“The Lunar New Year is a celebration by a lot of different countries. At least for Chinese culture, it’s a great time to spend with family and friends,” Hsueh said. “We’re hoping to share that celebration with everybody who comes to our meeting.”