A new way to serve

Tennis star Vanessa Popescu commits to Naval Academy
Popescu poses with her Summer Seminar squad, an experience that ultimately influenced her decision to attend Navy.

“I’m ecstatic to announce the continuation of my academic and tennis careers at the United States Naval Academy,” read Vanessa Popescu’s Jan. 8 Instagram post publicizing her commitment. After years of hard work, her dedication had finally paid off.

“[I feel] just a sense of relief,” Popescu said. “The Naval Academy was my top choice for the past four years, and I feel like that’s the environment that I’m going to thrive in.”

For her teammates, the announcement was not unexpected.

“I wasn’t surprised [by her commitment],” senior Sloane Modlinger said. “As a tennis player, she’s hardworking and motivated. As a teammate, she gives great advice and fosters a positive environment. I always knew she would be committing somewhere awesome.”

Popescu’s tennis career began at the age of five when her parents put her in beginner classes. Before long, she was dominating orange ball tournaments and quickly perfecting her technique.

“Tournaments feel like a different kind of battleground,” Popescu said. “[They’re] very competitive and it’s an atmosphere that’s not for everyone, but it definitely helped me grow a lot as a person.”

Evidently, much has changed since Popescu’s days in junior classes. In high school, she has been continually ranked as the number one seed on the varsity tennis team, becoming both a valued member and respected role model.

“Vanessa is an incredibly dedicated teammate who plays amazing under pressure,” junior Anna Jacobs said. “She’s so skilled, […] I try to learn anything I can from her when I get the chance.”

For Popescu, the feeling was mutual. The support and camaraderie on the McLean tennis team was one of the reasons she decided to play tennis in college.

“I really wanted to be on a team [in college] after being on the high school tennis team,” Popescu said. “Sometimes it gets lonely playing tournaments by yourself, and I wanted to [continue to] be in this environment where I could compete not just for myself, but also for the benefit of others.”

From her very first visit to the Naval Academy, Popescu knew that it was what she was looking for.

“Whenever I go there, whenever I meet people from there, it’s unlike any other school,” Popescu said. “There is simply this feeling of home and being welcomed.”

Popescu still has one more high school tennis season before she leaves to play at Navy. As always, the team will be there to support her both during the season and throughout her college experience.

“It feels great to have such a committed player on the team,” Jacobs said. “Not only does it set the tone for the season, but it gives the team motivation to keep playing our best. I think we’ll go really far this year with that motivation.”